Unfortunately, illegal hit and run accidents happen. If you are the victim of a New York hit & run accident then you may still be able to obtain compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, pain & suffering, and other reasonable expenses.
The Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation (hereinafter referred to as “MVAIC”) is a non-profit organization created by law in New York. The MVAIC provides no-fault benefits up to fifty thousand dollars ($50,000) and bodily injury coverage up to twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) to each claimant involved in a motor vehicle accident caused by any of the following:
1) An unidentified motor vehicle which leaves the scene of an accident;
2) A stolen motor vehicle;
3) A motor vehicle operated without the owner’s permission;
4) A motor vehicle that the insurer disclaims liability or denies coverage for;
5) An unregistered motor vehicle; or
6) An uninsured motor vehicle.
Additionally, the following Qualifications for MVAIC benefits are all required:
1) The motor vehicle accident happened in New York;
2) You were a New York resident at the time of the motor vehicle accident (there may be exceptions to this requirement under special circumstances for a non-New-York resident);
3) You have no other automobile insurance available to you;
4) You were not the owner of the uninsured vehicle involved in the accident; and
5) You were not the spouse of the owner of the uninsured vehicle, and a passenger in that uninsured vehicle.
There are very important deadlines as well, which if missed, could affect your eligibility for benefits:
1) Report the motor vehicle accident to the police within 24 hours of the accident;
2) Submit a notice of intention (NOI) within 90 days of the accident if the accident was with a hit and run or unidentified motor vehicle; and
3) Submit a notice of intention (NOI) within 180 days of the accident if the accident was with an identified motor vehicle.
If you have been involved in a New York, New York City, or Long Island hit and run accident, please do not attempt to handle the legal matter on your own and/or rely on any of the information contained on this website. Instead, please contact and speak with a New York personal injury attorney as soon as possible after immediately contacting 911 / police. Feel free to contact our New York City and Long Island hit and run accident lawyers if you have been involved in a New York City or Long Island hit and run accident.
THIS IS AN "ATTORNEY ADVERTISING." PRIOR RESULTS DO NOT GUARANTEE A SIMILAR OUTCOME.
The information contained on this website is for general purposes only, and may not be accurate due to changes in the law and/or other reasons. The information contained on this website should not be relied upon and does not constitute legal advice, nor establish an attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney and/or the Law Office of William L. Teitler for legal representation / legal advice. Contacting the Law Office of William L. Teitler does not, by itself, establish an attorney-client relationship.
Our law firm represents clients in employment law, personal injury, and other legal matters in New York State and New York City, including Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, Nassau, and Suffolk County.
Law Office of William L. Teitler
30-30 Northern Boulevard
Long Island City, NY 11101
Phone: (718) 392-3483
Long Island Office:
425 Broadhollow Road
Melville, NY 11747
(Law Offices of Ian M. Sack)
(Personal Injury Co-Counsel)
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 7 p.m.